This Life is Ephemeral

       This is a poem I wrote when I was 19 years old. This was inspired by my friends. We were having the best summer and time of our lives only to realize that it is impermanent or ephemeral. It had widened my perspective in life that life itself should be lived to the fullest.
Yes that's me. I don't have money to hire a model only to show their back. (laughs)
When I was young, I used to play
In the vast, boundless seeming meadow
Into the shallow, muddy river and by its bank
Not knowing it is impermanent
And it won’t last forever
For it has long been foretold
That we pass into this world once

This thought soon filmed my mind
So do I make the most out of living
Savor the things this world offers
And savor it out until I can
For time is fast and fleeting
It keeps moving but until when?
At least there would be no regrets

I must span now the rivers down the vales and seas
Over the hills and across the plains
I’ll be a drifter off to see the world
A traveler in an endless road
Winding as it has always been,
Scattered with debris that might swell my soles
But it can’t hurt my soul
Then I must go on

This long walk of life brought sweet memories
In the sentience of my being
Bitter thing was, the dawn is counting
So fast as its luster strikes the earth
And there would be dawn no more
I must go on now, yes I must go on
Until I satisfy myself,
Until my time perish

I must cling taut to my fulgent dreams
Those I heard of once in a lullaby
Of a compassionate mother in her caressing arms
That I may weather all the storms,
That I may stand tough on my own
And there would be bountiful harvest
And I will cherish

I am but a delicate, half-opened flower
Lying amidst wild forest, undaunted
Waiting for its petals to unfold
So vivid, vibrant and youthful
Yet destined to wither and die
Oh! This life is ephemeral!
So I must go on.

Comments

Popular Posts