When in Sonapur | My Life as an Expat

       After I put in a hard day at work, after I take off my uniform, daily life continues in Sonapur where I live. Sonapur means Land of Gold in Hindi but in reality, it is a land where hundreds of labor camps are to be found housing hundreds of thousands of laborers.

My Company Accomodation



          I am lucky enough to have a better accommodation compared to other expats in the area. I have to share a room with three of my workmates. Each room is equipped with two double-decker bed. Basic amenities like electricity, water, and WIFI are provided for free. There is a TV area for all but no Filipino channel so I rather lock myself up in my room and resort to Youtube instead. There are two kitchen, each can accommodate like 20 person cooking at the same time. There is one washing area that can accommodate 8 sessions at a time. But since there are hundreds of us in the camp, most of the time you have to wait for your turn for some time. What I usually do is I wake up in the wee hours of the morning because less are using it since most of them are asleep. Our building is three-story and each floor has a shared bathroom. Building is well maintained I can say as we have some cleaners and facilities staff.

Daily scene
Clothes being dried on the hand rails
      I've read some articles online that some camps were shut down here in Sonapur due to worse living conditions. Well I can still see some camps that badly needs improvement. Every worker must be very tired everyday so they deserve a better place to rest and for their exhausted body to recuperate for another day of hard work.

This is where I get my hair done at AED10!

       Once a month I go to this humble salon where I get my hair trimmed as per required in my job. This is like thrice the price  than what I'm paying for back in the Philippines. But this is the cheapest that I can get so I take it.



       Everyday I have to dwell with fellow expats from Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka among others.It's a bit hard at first since all of them share some customs and traditions but as time goes by, I learned how to mingle. Well, I have to!




Rows of camps and labor buses
       Rows of labor camps filled the streets of Sonapur. With so many construction going on, it will probably be the largest camp of workers in the world and population here will drastically increase.

Al Madina Hypermarket
       Several markets can be found in the area. But the one above is where I usually buy all the things I need. I'm glad to found out that they do sell Filipino products too.

UAE Exchange
       During payday, I go here to send money back home. In a day or two, my family receives my hard earned money and I couldn't be any happier to know that I can provide their needs as well as send my siblings to school.

Zaal Supermarket
       Few meters away from our camp is this little supermarket. Every time I wish to have a sachet of coffee or a can of soda, I rush to this market.

Al Qusais Bus Station
       When I get bored, this is where I go to. This is my portal way out to the city. 

       So this has been my daily life as an expat here in Sonapur. It's not hard to live here but it's not easy either. I kinda expected this but I have always wanted to "live out" with only me or a friend in one room, InshAllah! Life would be better I guess. . -Jon-

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this, it really helped me with one of school assignments, even though you have better living conditions it still helped me show that there are companies that respect expats and with gods power you will go to a better place

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts